How I work
I provide a comfortable and confidential space for us to meet and explore the things that are causing you distress. Our meetings occur in person at the same time every week either for an agreed period, or on an open-ended basis.
During our sessions, I work with you to create a supportive environment in which you can be open and curious about your difficulties so you can reflect on them from a fresh perspective. I will ask you about your thoughts, feelings and sensations to gain a deeper appreciation of what you are going through and reflect back aspects of your life as I experience them with you. To facilitate this, I stay open to your experience in a non-judgmental way.
I also pay attention to how your present situation is influenced by your past, and notice how the past might be shaping your current relationships, including how we relate to each other during the sessions.
Seeing how you are in the ‘here and now’ as well as the ‘there and then’ is a useful way of working out the 'where and when' to change.
Collaboration is one of my personal values, and key to the process of therapy. How we work towards your goals will be influenced by both of us. In therapy:
- We will create a clear vision of how you want to live your life and what you would like to change
- We will establish goals for therapy and identify different ways that will support you achieve them
- We will identify your personal strengths, areas of growth, and what is holding you back
- I will maintain strict confidentiality about our work at all times
- I will carefully listen to you and stay present and available as we talk
- I will facilitate favourable conditions in which personal change can occur
- You will be open and curious about your experience
- You will take responsibility for making appropriate changes happen